dupa

Author Topic: Can't install  (Read 6469 times)

ramfansam

• View Profile
Can't install
« on: February 02, 2005, 06:31:33 pm »
I just downloaded the trial version of UHA, and after 2 hours (dang dial-up!) I tried to run the setup.exe. I read thru other posts, and turned off the AV, firewall, and verified that my system can handle this...
Pentium 2.1 Ghz
512 MB memory
Windows XP Home, SP2
What I have happening is the installshield wizard runs for about 2 seconds, stops, then dissappears. Nothing else happens. Am I needing to do something else? Thanks in advance.
Life is not like a bowl of cherries, it is more like a jar of Jalepenos. For what you do today may burn your butt tomorrow.

ramfansam

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:59:27 pm »
Wow...no responses. I figured that someone, somewhere might have seen this issue before and knew how to solve it.
Life is not like a bowl of cherries, it is more like a jar of Jalepenos. For what you do today may burn your butt tomorrow.

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
Can't install
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:51:49 pm »
ramfansam,

Fascinating. If I was to make a wild guess I'd say your SP2 is "eating" Hal. But I'm neither a programmer or a computer wiz. There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum and I'll bet one of them answers you soon. They're probably all just tied up with that nasty "real life" stuff at the moment. Sorry to hear about your problem. Personally, I wouldn't install SP2 on my computer, but that's neither here nor there; maybe I'm a bit superstitious about SP2. Again, just a wild guess, but you may have to "tweak" your SP2 to get it to allow Hal to setup on your computer. Interesting avatar.

Regards,
citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 05:57:35 am »
OK,

Personally I've been using XP w/ SP2 for over 6 months and have not had even a burp from any programs or my home networked computers. In fact it added better security along with some other nice features. Hal runs just fine!

ramfansam, you might have a lot of other programs running in the background that could inhibit Hal's installation.
Go to Start>Run>type in MSCONFIG.
Click the Startup Tab and view all the programs that are loaded at startup. Uncheck the ones you don't want or are questionable with regard to Hal. Click OK, Restart and try the install again.
You have also done recent updates and scans for Trojans, adware and viruses right? If not you should consider doing so.

Get back to us....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ramfansam

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:26:38 pm »
Well, I tried shutting down all but the very basic windows programs (which means firewall, AV, spyware and adware monitoring, etc) and found out that it is most likely a conflict with SP2. I guess I will try to find my SP2 CD, uninstall it, then try to install Hal, and re-install SP2. Geez, I hope Hal is the program I have been trying to find for so long....

Miller_gd

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 09:59:08 pm »
Hi, 1st time here.

Ramfansam, I have seen your problem before with other programs, I have seen it a few times. I doubt that it has to do with SP2. I would run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy, sometimes they find and fix the problem. If they don't then run HijackThis, but be careful with this one it with show you every thing that is running on your computer and anything that you check mark it will stop, so watch what you check.

They are all free downloads, just do a seach for them.

Hope that this helps, it has worked for me before. Good luck

nolitanger

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 06:30:54 am »
ramfansam,

How long did you wait after the install wizard disappeared? Some programs, and the older versions of Hal used to do this on my machine, take a long time to get the install going. And I mean a loooong time, like 3 or 4 minutes. Before you do anything drastic, I'd suggest that you initiate the install again, walk away from your computer for 4 or 5 minutes (go get a coffee), and then return. Maybe you'll see the next window in the process. If not, at least you'll have a coffee.

Rogue

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:26:30 pm »
I can definitely confirm that Hal runs quite happily with SP2, I have been running Trial version of Hal for about two weeks with no probs.  It must be a conflict with another program, or perhaps out dated drivers for your computer, make sure you have the latest video card and sound drivers.
Writing software is easy, its the end users that are difficult !

ramfansam

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 06:21:24 pm »
Well, i uninstalled SP2. I then tried to install, it didn't work. So, since I no longer had SP2, I updated the windows installer...it worked! Now to figure out why HAL doesn't work with the Cepstral Amy voice, but instead shifts to the Damien voice....

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 09:23:32 pm »
Sam,

Close UltraHal. CTRL+ALT+DEL
TaskManager
Look for HalAsst.exe and END TASK. (sometimes Hal remains for a short time after the program is shut down).
Then do the following...

Try running the HapSAPISetup file located at:
C:\Program Files\Haptek\player\data\HapTTS\HapSAPISetup.exe

That should do it.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Vampyri1

• View Profile
Can't install
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 04:28:20 pm »
Don't forget about the windows Firewall that comes with SP2.  If you use a 3rd party firewall, (McAfee, Norton, Sygate, etc.) you need to go into control panel -> Windows Security and turn off the Windows Firewall, then hit "Reccommendations" to put a check in the box that tells Windows you have  afirewall program that you Monitor youorself. THis will change the firewall color to Yellow.  THen and only then is the Windows Firewall turned off. (Green means Full Strength, Red means it's still working on a connection-by Connection basis.)  Personally, it sounds to me like a corrupt download.  do you have a friends on broadband who can download it for you and put it on a CD or Perhaps a USB flashdrive or ZIP disk?

Vampy
the opressed love their opressors and desire to become like them.  THe rest of us just like to watch.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Can't install
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 06:43:43 am »
it really sounds to me as if you have got a virus...

IF NOT then windows firewall is blocking the program from runnunning...

you must turn this function off...