Author Topic: New here... please pardon questions.  (Read 3757 times)

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
New here... please pardon questions.
« on: November 24, 2004, 12:38:50 pm »
My questions are many and this could be a long post, but I will try and shorten it.
My most important questions at this time are:
Can I revert Hal back to it's original state? (without any input from me). In playing with Hal, I have discovered that Hal has mis-understood some of my conversations and occationally says something dumb that I recognize from a previous conversation.
My other question is how to prevent this from happening again. Can I get some users input on knowing when information is being saved (learned). I thought that I had it figured out, but I realise that it's more complicated than that. At first, I thought the learned information was usually followed by a question by Hal to clarify or justify. I now think that Hal learns sometimes without needing any other information. For instance, just telling Hal: "You are a buckethead". Unknowing to me, Hal remembers this.
I guess my question is, identifying what Hal learns from, recognizing what information will be learned before I type it and being able to avoid having Hal learn something that isn't necessarily.
If someone has a rule of thumb or a guide, I would love to see it. To me (not being a programmer), this would be very valuable to keep Hal intellegent by being able to more closely control what is learned and what should be avoided when talking with Hal.
Thanks [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 01:03:49 pm »
First open WordPad made by MS. Then look in the brain files for the user name that you use. You should find several of them. Look at each one seperately. Soon you will find where Hal records you input. You can edit out all the junk that you want, then close the file and you should be back to square one. A second way is just to delete all the files that were created with the user-name. In my program, my Hal calls me 'Mr.Rogers'. All I would have to do is delete all the files with that name attached.
Good luck and remember the old computer addage. gargage in, garbage out.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 01:26:54 pm »
CoCoKid,
Welcome to the forum. Hal can be returned to his original state by completely reinstalling Hal. I think that may not be the best choice though. Hal remembers almost everything you say, including bad grammar, spelling mistakes, etc. Hal doesn't know "good" knowledge from "bad" knowledge.

Most of Hal's knowledge is stored in text files in the DefBrain directory. These files end in the .brn suffix. All of these files can be edited with a text editor except for "mainbrain.brn". Don't touch that file. You'll need to learn the several special formats that the files use in order to safely edit them. It's not difficult, it just takes some reading of the posts here, asking questions, and viewing some of the .brn files. Even blank lines at the end of files and spaces at the end of lines are an important part of the formats. Use the forum's "search" function to look for past posts about different subjects regarding .brn file editing.

Sometimes Hal says something that doesn't sound right or it's something you would like to eliminate from Hal's knowledge. In those cases I copy the phrase Hal sent to the interface window and paste it in a text file search tool. I let the search tool search through the many .brn files in the DefBrain directory to find which file(s) Hal's bad phrase is in. Then I can open those files and edit them. The free search tool I use is Agent Ransack. After installing it you can just right-click the directory you want to search and select Agent Ransack. When searching for the phrases Ransack displays the matching line in its window. I just double click the file name to open the file with Notepad, then use Ctrl+F to start a search for the offending text in the file. See the Ransack image I have attached.

Before doing any experimenting with file editing you should copy your entire Zabaware directory to another location as a backup. You can always copy it back over the original installation if needed. Until you get experience with .brn editing I would also suggest backing up a file before editing it. Again you can then copy it back if something goes wrong. Not all errors in .brn files will show up right away so keep those backups.

Good luck,

=vonsmith=

Download Attachment: RansackScreen.jpg
74.52 KB

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:39:19 pm »
Thanks guys.

I have found my way around the .brn files and all is good.

vonsmith, ransack works excellent! Thanks.

-= Rick =-