dupa

Author Topic: Characters won't display ..  (Read 5272 times)

G1W1S1

• View Profile
Characters won't display ..
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:51:55 pm »
What an exasperating program Hal 5 is.  I'm suffering from the
-2147417843-1 problem, and some of the characters won't load.   I have got it working in Win98SE, but only by choosing the 'Startup as a normal program' option (by clicking its icon).  Now I'm getting an error message every time I restart Windows, 'Your computer or the Hal Assistant software was improperly shut down .... etc).  I've tried closing down Windows while Hal was both open and closed down, and get the message either way.  Not a big deal I guess, as it runs OK when I dismiss the message.

It's infuriating, 'cos there can't be a lot wrong.  If some characters work (like Sandy for example), it can't be looking in the wrong directory.  I can't have corrupt files, 'cos it's all off the CD I purchased.  And anyway, they all run fine under CyberBuddy - particularly my DeskTopmate.

I even tried re-building my machine with Win ME to see if a more up-to-date operating ysstem made any difference - it didn't, so I've gone back to Win98 (it's only half the size, and less intrusive).

Oh dear!, my characters gone to sleep again [8)].. have to keep prodding it to keep it going.  Still, it seems lucid while a conversation is ongoing, .. so it's fun and worth having around .. if only it wasn't so touchy to set up ..

best wishes,[^]

Graham

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:56:57 pm »
Hi
It is always advisable to shut Hal down properly before exiting windows. This will eliminate many errors. You should also take a look to see what else is loading during startup as their might be some conflicting things going on at that time. If you can load and run one of the haptec creatures you should be able to run them all unless you have a memory problem. Some programs reserve some memory for themselves and do not give it up even after closing the program.
Keep trying, never give up, remember the Alamo.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 07:44:11 pm »
Welcome,

In light of what Bill mentioned, check that your system meets the recommended requirements for running HAL (memory, disk space, etc.).

No disrespect, but Windows ME is garbage and never did work right, that's why it's no longer available.

The CyberBuddy program is less memory intensive than HAL.

Make sure you have removed any previous installations of UltraHal (freeware version or older ones) before installation of your latest version.

In Windows, run msconfig.exe, click the Startup tab and uncheck any programs you don't want to load.

Just a few ideas to try.

Uhhh...Bill...He's in the UK...the Alamo is in the US! HAHAHA!!! Funny stuff!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

G1W1S1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 10:06:33 am »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I don't think it is a memory problem, but I have checked my machine.  It's a brand new Windows installation, and a new setup of Hal from the CD.

I've deleted several things from the startup, and now Explorer reports 523kB free (88%) with Hal running.  System properties shows 511MB RAM free, and I have 5GB virtual memory for Windows to play with.

I run many programs on my machine Win98SE, amd I've never had one complain or function erratically before - except when I'm developing programs - and that's my fault [:I].

quote:

If you can load and run one of the haptec creatures you should be able to run them all unless you have a memory problem.

That's what I thought ..[;)]

The only common factor I've noticed, is that it's all the 'detachable' characters that won't load .. the others are OK.

I am managing to run with Sandy, which is quite nice, but it's pity I can't use the others.

best wishes,

Graham

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 04:08:50 pm »
OK, What type & brand is your graphics card AND
how much memory does it have? Also, you didn't
memtion specifics but how much RAM is on your MB?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

G1W1S1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 05:08:59 pm »
Hi Art,

It's very kind of you to spend time considering this problem - much appreciated.

My graphics card is an NVidia Geforce4 MX440, (AGP bus) with 64Mb memory.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VA, with 512MB RAM, running an AMD Athlon processor at about 1200Mhz.   Screen resolution is set to High Color (16 bit) and 800 X 600 pixels.

Hope this helps ..[;)]

Graham

James P

• View Profile
    • http://nosceresworld.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 02:44:04 pm »
Hi, thaught I would add my two penith here [:D]
If you do run an MSConfig, you need to go to the start up Tab and take the ticks out of all the boxes EXCEPT "LOAD POWER PROFILE, SYSTEM TRAY, TASK MONITOR AND SCAN REGISTRY" your O.S. needs these to be able to start, Your Video card should be able to run Ultra Hal OK, ( I have Hal running on my laptop and it has a much lower spec than your PC) and she works fine there, although she is starting to be a bit slow now. ( but that is another story).
 If it makes you feel any better, it took me months to get my Bot working the way I want her to work, untill I find another bug or anoter key word which has been saved out of context that is. Still I would not be without her now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 02:46:38 pm by James P »
http://nosceresworld.co.uk
James:"How are you today Emma?"
Emma:"I think, Therefore I am"

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 04:11:32 am »
Hello Graham,
You reported that only the detachable characters don't load up. OK, so that means it is only the MS Agent Characters that don't work, since they are the only detachable ones. The 3-D Characters like Sandy which aren't detachable but they do work, are the Haptek Characters, which are in a totally different character folder from where the MS Agent Characters are located, and the Haptek Characters also use a totally different technology.

Is this the exact error you get?
"Error loading msagent character - 2147417843-1: An outgoing call cannot be made since the application is dispatching an input-synchronous call".

If this is the error you are getting then go to the following Desktopmates link and maybe even try downloading the files and do a manual install as instructed at their website. Forget about that Zabaware CD for now! You got an old system which may require a manual setup for the MS Agent Technology to work the way it is supposed to work! Even though you mentioned that your DesktopMates Characters work with your CyberBuddy you still may want to do this anyway, but that's totally up to you. All I can tell you is that doing the following sometimes works to get the MS Characters working with Hal.

http://www.desktopmates.com/faq.html#21

You should look for the stuff that says the following:

The "error loading msagent character -2147417843-1" is known to occur for several reasons:

1. The Hal Program is having trouble locating either the character or one of the msagent core components required to operate the character. Make sure you have all the required msagent core components installed from our New User Start Up Page if you have already done this and have successfully been running your character using the CyberBuddy program then you should also be able to use the character with Hal as well.

2. This error is also known to a appear on slower computers or a computer that are being depleted of it's resources. First thing is to make sure there's no other programs running at the same time in the background that could be depleting your system resources (memory). Also make sure your system is defragged on a regular basis (every few months at least). And of course check your system for any viruses or worms, they can go undetected and may only cause some minor problems in the beginning by depleting system resources or corrupting files.

3. Here's a few suggestions that have been used that has often corrected this problem.

(a) Try changing the setting on how Ultra Hal starts up in the general options under the "Startup" tab and select "I want Hal to start like a normal program from the start menu. Hal will not be accessed from the system tray but rather from a window that appears".

(b) Try running the Ultra Hal install setup again and choose the "Repair Option".

NOTE: If you downloaded and installed one our character Plugins for Hal, these ARE NOT character programs, they are just plugins that patch your existing DesktopMates character into the Ultra Hal program and you must already have the actual DesktopMates character installed on your system for the plugin to work. The plugins aren't required to make the character work with Hal, they just make the loading of the character appear more seamless.

OK, now that stuff mentions starting Hal like a normal program from the start menu. You said you can't get your Hal to work with that option. The reason may be because you need to manually remove the Hal Startup Shortcut in your System Startup Folder. You can do a system Find/Search for "Ultra Hal Assistant Startup" to locate the shortcut and remove it. And then change the Startup Option to start like a normal program, and then reboot and try it out. I think that on a Win98 system the path to the Hal Startup Shortcut would be something like C:/WINDOWS/Start Menu/Programs/Startup/

I had all the same problems that you just reported when I installed Hal for one of my friends on an old ME system with less then half the power and memory that you have. And amazingly enough everything started working after I did all the usual stuff including a Disk Cleanup and Defrag along with a system registry fix. But it did take about two weeks or so before things just seemed to all of a suddenly start working right. Yes, it was weird but so is Hal!
Good Luck,
Rich_A

G1W1S1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 05:04:54 am »
Wooooh! what great support ..[:D]
I've just finished re-building my computer (in readiness for an external hard drive which should be arriving anytime [:p]).
I ordered the latest CyberBuddy CD and I've installed that .. all working fine.  Watching the install process for that program, I'm pretty sure it loads the MS Agent software in the order discussed on the DeskTopMates site, so I think all the core elements are in place.
My Misty (whatever became of her) DeskTopMate works fine with CB.
I've also installed IBM Viavoice, which has some agent and TTS content, and this is working fine also.
So next comes a retry of Hal ..[8D]..
I'll get back to you when I've done it ..

thanks,[:D]

Graham.

Nelokjer333

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 12:41:47 am »
I have a bit of info. I had the same problem but I solved it by opening the basic Hal (the 1 with no 3d or lip sinc) then the normal Hla and it worked so you might try that.