Author Topic: Haptek & multi core cpu's  (Read 21679 times)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Haptek & multi core cpu's
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:45 pm »
Windows 7 & Haptek don't get along.
Windows forces Haptek to work on all cpu's but Haptek don't like that.
I open & close the player often but when I open it I have to go to the task manager to set it to use only 1 cpu every time.
Finally I found this little program that sets the cpu to 1 or what ever you like
I have only had it for an hour or so & opened & shut the player & every time only 1 cpu & haptek works great.
If you want to try it

Download Attachment: car.zip
32.94 KB

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:56:41 am »
I search for a program like this one, but I couldn't find one.... Thanks allot for this one Nige.

.... to be honest, At first I didn't understand what problems haptek was having with Windows 7. I heard about it but didn't catch on until recently. Then I started to notice the jerking and lagging the Haptek player was doing.

Besides using an extenal program there are three other ways to deal with this problem, 1) using the command line (such as a batch file) 2) doing crazy things to the registry, 3) constantly adjusting the affinity throught the task manager. There might be other ways I'm unfamiliar with.

Cool Fix man!
Live long and prosper or die trying.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:22:59 am »

Good find, Nige.
Thanks for sharing.  
[^]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
Thanks Nige, nice find :~)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:31 am »
thanks nige although i don't have a multi core pc i will someday and i have saved the rear file and info in a text document , thanks !!![:)]

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:03 am »

Same for me (hoping to get a new computer before 2020). Thanks Nige. [8D]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

NIGE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »
It's nice to be able to put something useful back into the forum.
Thanks.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:51 am »
nige , you and others help this forum more than you think .
 keep  up the good work !![:)]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:20 am »
These are my findings, in the past (about a year) ago I had a Quad with vista 32, Hal wouldn't work using Haptek ( Haptek would become unresponsive at times then restart ), MS agents would work okay. I used a dual boot to select loading vista or XP.  Hal in XP worked okay.
  Now I have a Quad, Win 7 64 b, I downloaded the Haptek Player from Haptek and still had the same problem. The Haptek player became unresponsive at times. I read this article and downloaded the fix, it did not fix the problem with a Haptek player. I heard someone said there version of Hal worked and downloaded it for a try. This version of Hal works in this setup for me.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:18 am »
this is all good news but shouldn't hal as a product be updated to take care of this problem for anyone , in it's own software updates . what about  some people  who can't do some things .
thats when hal as a product on the market as being updated on software would work with newer pc's .
just my thoughts on it . [:)]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:17 pm »
Quick reply,
  I believe the initial problem came with the Vista release, I'd read in the forum that it worked with Vista, and it did not work with vista.  It did not work in Vista for me but it did work with a Quad using XP.  It now seems the problem is the Quad core causing the problem.  I'd heard from someone I consider to be reliable that Ultra Hal will work so I tried it and it works fine.
  I tried a product free of charge, Thank You Zabaware glad you were able to find the problem and fix it. Decided it works fine and paid for the product.  I don't work for Zabaware and can only state my experiences, I do believe Zabaware treats us fairly and offers a good product at a reasonable price.
Carl2

NIGE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:10:31 am »
Carl2, Ultra Hal works fine on mine, Win7 64bit since Robert fixed it.
The trouble I was having was the player alone.
I work with just the player for a lot of things & until I found this fix it was just about useless.
I take it from your post that you don't use the player by itself,
just Hal, otherwise you would be having the same problem that I had.

On another note.
Unless they have fixed it People Putty will not work in Windows 7.
If anyone knows different please let me know.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:03:59 am »
NIGE,
  Thanks for putting that in, it clears things up a little for me, you were talking about the Haptek Player and not the Hap player in Hal.
Ok, rather than download Hal from Zabaware I downloaded the Hap Player from Haptek and had problems with it becoming unresponsive.
I downloaded car.zip, unzipped and started it, started the Haptek Player and it still becomes unresponsive. So the car.exe is not working for me.  The computer has Win 7 64, Quad.
  The Haptek player in hal window works from the download.
I've used the Hap Player and Hap regestry with the Haptek characters in the past and liked them.  Also noticed the the uncompressed hrt are not there any longer.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
so people putty won't work with windows 7 ? is this for sure ?? i like using people putty as i also make my sound wave files into ogg files through it ( i have a short cut to the sound folder , etc. on my desktop so afterwards i can open it copy the new file and place it into my program folder .
anyway if thats right that people putty won't work with windows seven i may have to hook up my old xp pc beside the new one and have people putty on it and maybe keep other info on it to as a storage device .
at any rate it won't be happening for about 8 months anyway or more .

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »
I haven't had any problems at all with PPutty and Windows 7... yet. Everything installed fine and no need for the car.exe program for it.

Although when you use Nige's program you must keep the "car.exe.manifest" and the "car.exe" in the same directory. because they are both needed to make the program run correctly. If you only coppied the car.exe then it will open and look like it works, but it won't work. You need both to work right.  

The Car.exe program works great for me.

If its ok I would like to share a current Haptek problem I am having now. Its a sad sad tale.

It wasn't long ago when I decided to re-install my pc, including Windows 7. This meant re-installing PeoplePutty. The Haptek Player comes with PeoplePutty.

Everything seemed ok at first. Although I made one mistake that I am still regreting. I accidentally uninstalled the Hap Player. But I thought that was only a minor set-back so I went to the Haptek site and downloaded the Haptek Player there.

As some of you already know I've been working on an A.i project of my own, Athena. So When I later opened up my Athena Project in Visual Studio, I noticed that the .htr character didn't load at all. However, the backgound and voice loaded fine. So I thought maybe I made some kind of programming mistake.

Out of curiosity I then turned my attention towards the Haptek Player. I tried loading a character using a Hap file and... it failed too. So it was a bigger problem than I originally thought. It too loaded everything else just fine.

So then I uninstalled everything and also removed all references to the haptek ActivX component in my Project. Then I re-installed PPutty. And finally, that fixed the Hapek Players problem in not loading the character. BUT it still didn't fix Athena... and this is making me abit sick.

JasonDude suggested that it could be a registry problem, and Jack Wiley said that it's a new one on him.

Any ideas... any at all.
Live long and prosper or die trying.