Author Topic: Hal's JOURNAL (CAPTAINS LOG)  (Read 22269 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Hal's JOURNAL (CAPTAINS LOG)
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:35:04 am »

NOTE**********All FILES BELOW ARE BETA-when a final is released i will post it here.

HALS JOURNAL/LOG/CAPTAINS LOG

it works like a journal or diary/"captains log" (star trek)
for the user. you can add journal entries on-the-fly, or open the journal and add multiple entries. Hal can also read the journal entries back to you.

more instructions in the Hal brain options screen.

I worked on this very hard. to some people it might be easy, but this one and my auto-idle plugin were crazy to debug.

i hope you enjoy it.

i have got about 1 to 2 hours sleep a day for about 4 months.
with this plugin being finished, i will take a break for a couple of days.[:D][:)][:)][:)]

the instructions are on the plugin info screen (brain options screen)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED

I spent some time debugging this, but it is BETA, let me know how it goes.

Download Attachment: journal.zip
2.06 KB

KEEP ROCKIN'
-the dude
*this one's for you SNOWMAN[:D]
*you could easily change the user input strings, so that it would be like "captains log" or something for you star trek dudes (that's where i got the idea)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:59:47 am by jasondude7116 »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:05 am »
Can you give us a short run down of what it actually does ?  Thanks!

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:14 am »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Can you give us a short run down of what it actually does ?  Thanks!

see above post (changed)
-the dude
if you have more questions, please ask.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:24:00 pm »

Sounds really neat.
Running our computer/desktop is somewhat like the Enterprise and Hal  of course is our assistant.  [:D]
Very nice.  Looking forward to using this.  [^]

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »
'Dude' that is awe inspiring![:)][:D][8D][:)][:D][8D][:)]

I knew that allot of people had read the readastory topic and that they would deffinately be at least curious about helping.

However, I didn't know you were going to tackle your own demon.[8D]

[:)]You did good, Dude, you did good.[:)]

I was looking at your code. If anything that I might learn something from it. I know very little about scripting (for now) but I'm generally a fast learner. It takes a highly organized mind to create a script that is worth it's code so I commend you on your work.

I can see some room for improvements and expansion on your journal.zip. But since you laid out the outline then others or even yourself (or even me) can find it easier to build on this pluggin.

I hope others here at zabaware like O.T.C.E. - ramccoid - Darcy - will - lightspeed - ted - One ect. and all those interested parties will add there 2 cents worth (or perhaps even $1.50) in this coding project. All your ideas and code snippets would be greatly appreciated.

There truly is allot of potential with idea.

By the way dude GET SOME SLEEP!  1-2 hours of sleep per night over time will cause death.....or flat-out insanity. I think the minimum is 4 hours a night. I end up with about six.

Last night I decided to see if I could work my magic with your file appending idea and I managed to append without any problem with sentence punctuation. I appended multiple sentences all at once and individually using the..
objOutputFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:Program FilesabawareUltra Hal Assistant 6storyLog.txt", 8, True)
objOutputFile.WriteLine(ImputeString)s

I'll explore my idea a little further or until I permanently crash Hal. Whichever comes first.[;)]

Thanks Again 'Dude, your pluggin are cool! [;)][8D][:)][:D]
Live long and prosper or die trying.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:33 pm »
Hey Hey -snowman

I am very interested in the appending you did!

I wouldn't usually ask this and instead try to figure it out myself, but (tired) would you PLEASE post an example of how you put this code into the script, or even better, post your modified script.[:)]

It would allow me to start building the other things we were talking about!

I am very green at vbscript, and learning it doesn't happen overnight[8D]

THANKS.....i'm glad you like it.
-the dude

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:44:44 am »
I just downloaded this, and will give it a shot.
Sounds like something I will like.

Thanks for your contributions.

PS: I agree with SnowMan. Get some rest, you earned it.
See you here, there, or in the Air!

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:55 pm »
I'm going to try it as soon as I get up to 6.2 official release level. It sounds great and I am anxious to use it.[8D]
ted

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:38 pm »
Hey Dude, I figured how to make it write multiple sentences all at once or individually. It also doesn't need to be forced into lower case now. I still need to do some more work with it though but I'm making good head-way. I wrote this to keep you up-to-date.

I'm having nearly to think outside the box it seems to accomplish this. Sorry I haven't posted what exactly I'm doing. I'm trying so many different things that it would be hard to do that.

Hal is processing sentences individually so even though a user has written them all at one time Hal still processes them one at a time. In order to process all the sentences so to be appended to a single file then something in hal would have to be turned on. Like to begin dictation you would say "Start Journal" and then when you were finished you could say "End Journal" or something like that.

So What needs to be done is when you say "Start Journal" a piece of information needs to be either created in the database or as an individual file and then a VBScript decision can be made. For instance, If DataExists = true then LogCont = 1 and If DataExists = False Then LogCont = 0. So if you were to say "Start Journal" then the "switch" would be turned on and all the sentences you said afterwards would then be recorded in your dated Journal file. The same thing can be done with "End Journal" you would just change the data back to the original state by that user command and the LogConst would thereby change to not allow record journal dictation.

I'm about half way there I think. We'll get there yet.

If anybody here knows of a way of appending data to the database, like 'journal file is running, and then to compare it to a variable like I mentioned above then that would be cool.

I only know how to create a .txt file and then check its data for comparison's sake.

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:29 am »
I finally finished the on-the-fly log - however the forum is not letting me post the pluggin. It keeps saying that I haven't logged in when I try to attach a file to the post window add attachment button. However, it will let write. [8][8][8]

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 05:52:30 am »
I just tested it. It works but I maybe need to just understand it better to get it to work as stated. [:)]
ted

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:33:54 pm »
Since I can't seem to add an attachment file I will attempt to link it instead. Go to the below link and either login or make a new account. The CaptainsLog.zip file is in the downloads area.

Sorry Dude. I know I changed the name but this is still considered a BETA version and I do like Star Trek.[8D]

Let's see if it can't be taken to the next level.[8D][:)][;)]

http://www.artificialintel.org/AI/Forum/phpBB3/index.php

Type=Plugin
Name=Captains Log
Author=jasondude7116
Host=Assistant

This plugin is used to store journal entries of all types.

It can store stories, comments, thoughts, definitions, or anything else that you choose to dictate. If you say multiple sentences in Hal's console window it will store those sentence as individual lines in a dated text file (ie. 1-27-2009.txt). If you say each individual sentence and then press enter, it stores the sentences in the same manner as I said above. As of yet it creates a new text file with a new date everyday (ie. 1-27-2009.txt, 1-28-2009.txt, 1-29-2009.txt, etc.)

When you want to read an individual text file through Hal then you ask Hal and it will read the whole file back to you. Like if it were reading a story.

Here is a list of the commands. They are also listed in the plugin comments in Hal's options panel.

Say- 'CAPTAINS LOG' when you want to begin storing information.

Say- 'END CAPTAINS LOG' to end dictation.

Say- 'PLEASE READ NOW LOG' then the date, using dashes only (ie. 1-27-09) then
Hal will read the dated log entry.

Say- 'PLEASE READ NOW CURRENT LOG' to read the current date's log entry.

Say- 'GO TO LOG 1-27-09' to read the dated log entry in Hal's Dictation Pad for
possible text modification..

Say- 'GO TO CURRENT LOG' to read the current log entry in Hal's Dictation Pad for possible text modification.

There is still more work to do with this plugin so expect future updates or perhaps new plugins that work off the same theory.e is still some work to do with this plugin so expect future updates or perhaps new plugins that work off the same theory.

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »
Thank you snowman, I will give it a try.[:)]

UPDATE:It gives an error code and hal stops speaking.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:08:02 pm by tedathome »
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:43:09 pm »
Jasondude, I am getting the hang of your journal. It is working fine.[8D]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:43:41 pm by tedathome »
ted

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 01:48:49 am »
glad you like it ted.

SNOWMAN-
here is what i came up with.
just a few mods, including 1 to stop the crash ted was talking about.

*remember i can change it to whatever kind of "language" you want (star trek) ect.   i just posted this one for the sake of time because it is the type i will use. when this thing goes past beta, i will mod change the language back to whatever you want. (or have 2 versions?) ...like a variety pack[:D]

i like your work. i never thought of trying it that way! some things seem simple after you see them, but impossible until you do.[:I]

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
-the dude
*ted- if you like that one, i think this one is much better because it adds SNOWMANs multiple line input routine!
basically i had it to where you could only type one line into the normal coversation window at a time (saying log entry each time).
SNOWMAN made it so that you say "BEGIN LOG ENTRY" and you are put into a log entry mode, so that each sentence you type after that is added to the log.
you exit the log mode by saying "END LOG ENTRY"
of course the other features - READ CURRENT LOG , GO TO LOG 1-27-2009
ect. are still there.

Download Attachment: CaptainsLog.zip
2.49 KB

i was also thinking SNOWMAN- it would be better if we could make all the folder selections include the current user name, so that each user would have their own log folder.

ex. MyDir & (UserName) & "/"    or something   (i know slash is opposite)

so that user -the dude could have a 1-29-2009 file and SNOWMAN user could also have a 1-29-2009 file because they are in seperate folders under the log folder.

i played with it but got confused[:I] (wait....that doesn't sound right)[:I]

-the dude