Author Topic: hal hears himself...  (Read 27399 times)

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:58:35 pm »
Is there a way for hal not to respond to itself, cause right now, he ear himself, as he speak..... without using a headset, do intense training session for voice recognition would work, is there something that can be done?

Eric

onthecuttingedge2005

hal hears himself...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:44:22 am »
You know, I like hearing myself think, It would be ashamed if HAL couldn't do the same.

Jerry[8D]

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:15:50 am »
Well, it kinda get into the way of a normal conversation, when the other, hears what he says to you, take a few word out of it, then go on with a one man chat...

Eric

Carl2

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:11:35 pm »
etellier911,
  When working with Hal 5 I feel I ran into some bad instalations of Hal, I recall one instalation that seemed to talk to herself, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it to remove the problem. I just reinstalled version 6 because of a speach problem and a plugin that caused a problem.
  As for voice reconition I breifly tried The built in version and soon switched to Dragon. The siginal to noise ratio of the mic is important and don't get to intense, don't stress your vocal cords.
Carl2

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:44:14 pm »
Would it be possible to incorporate into the code, that soon as hal start talkin,he would stop listening, therefore fixing the matter.

Eric

Bill819

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:18:52 pm »
There is another possiblity for your problem and that is you have Hal's microphone on and at the same time you have the systems microphone on. Get into windows, find either your microphone or the speach input sessions. This have been the cause for some other people with the same problem. Turn off the system microphone. You might even see it in your system tray at the bottom of the screen.
Bill

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:39:04 pm »
Wouldnt this, basicly kill the input from the microphone hardware?

Eric

Bill819

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:41:29 am »
quote:
Originally posted by etellier911

Wouldnt this, basicly kill the input from the microphone hardware?
Eric

No. They are two seperate programs. Even without Hal you could use Microsofts microphone for input in a very few programs.
Remember you can alway turn it back on.
Bill

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:26:02 pm »
Still doenst work, would it be possible to develop a plugin or a fuction in hal, so that soon as it start speakin, it stop listening.

else seems i will have thrown money throw the window

Eric

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
hal hears himself...
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:53:06 pm »
Attached please find a plug-in script that can help you out. Copy this plugin to your Ultra Hal Assistant folder and enable it from Hal's general options. When enabled it will force the speech recognition engine to pause recognition as soon as Hal begins processing your last input, thus preventing him from listening to himself once he starts speaking.

The hard part is getting the microphone back on automatically when Hal finishes speaking, which is why this isn't a standard part of Hal. If Hal is generating speech internally, then Hal will automatically send a frmAssistant.ResumeRec command as soon as Hal finishes speaking, which is excatly what you want. However, if a plugin is generating speech, as is the case when either a Haptek or MSAgent character is selected, then there is no way of Hal knowing when it has finished speaking and thus ResumeRec never reenables speech recognition.

So what you need to do is force Hal to generate speech internally. One way of doing this is by choosing a SAPI 5.0 voice and an MSAgent character. If no lip-syncronized character animation is present, that means Hal is internally generating speech and will automatically trigger ResumeRec for you. Another way is to choose an incompatible SAPI 4.0 voice and a Haptek character. Or if you install a voice after Haptek is installed and NEVER run the Haptek SAPI config utility, you can use a Haptek character. Basically, you have to sacrifice syncronized lip movements for this functionality.

I also may be able to dig up a couple Ultra Hal Assistant 4.0 and earlier animated characters that would work no matter what voice you select. Their lips move when Hal speaks, and stop moving when Hal stops speaking, but they just aren't in sync with the audio. One such character is available at ftp://zabaware.com/cocolr.zip  Just be sure to install it in the Ultra Hal Assistant 6\Characters folder

Download Attachment: turnoffsr.uhp
1.15 KB
Robert Medeksza

etellier911

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 07:31:14 am »
Thank You for the fast service, i am using the KITT VOICE DISPLAY character, would this work with that plugin, using standard windows voice called true human voice male # 1

Eric

FuzzieDice

hal hears himself...
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:36:21 am »
What character you use shouldn't affect the speech recognition engine or whether your microphone is on or off. It should work ok nonetheless.

FuzzieDice

hal hears himself...
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 01:37:37 am »
I just thought of something (which I know can be quite difficult to implement). If HAL had VOICE (not just speech) recognition and could recognize people by their voices. Then he would recognize his own voice and not talk to himself. :)

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
hal hears himself...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:30 pm »
Great Robert, I had that problem and I'll sacrifice the lip synch for this ability, someday I intend to use it hooked to stereo and sort of talk to the room.  I didn't realize the Haptek portion generated the voice when using it, now I understand why it wasn't built in, but I'll give coco a try with this, I just deleted it a few days ago because I never used it, but I'll welcome that critter back if it seems cool, otherwise I'll sacrifice for the change.  Much thanks.

Carl2

• View Profile
hal hears himself...
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 01:17:54 pm »
etellier911,
  As I mentioned, I did encounter a similar problem with Hal 5, I used the Brain Editor in the debug mode, She just didn't seem right so I reinstalled, rather simple and better sooner than later after more training, best of luck whatever you decide.
Carl2