dupa

Author Topic: XTF Brain Update!  (Read 9761 times)

vonsmith

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« on: February 29, 2004, 12:58:27 am »
I've released an XTF Brain patch. It will update your current XTF Brain v1.0 to v1.2. It fixes one bug that could cause incorrect data to be saved to the XTF "related" topic files. There are a number of other minor enhancements and updates included in the installation.

I don't know when Zabaware will place the "XTF Brain patch to update v1.0 to v1.2" download on the Hal plug-in page. They haven't placed the v1.1 patch there yet. IMPORTANT NOTE - Do NOT install the v1.1 patch. It still has a potential bug. Just wait for the v1.2 patch and install that. It will install over your XTF Brain v1.0 installation. No user data will be overwritten.

A hearty thanks goes out to those of you that provided feedback on the XTF brain.

=vonsmith=

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 02:18:06 am »
How large is the patch? If it's not too big to upload here, maybe you should just post it here, for the moment. That way those of us eagerly awaiting it can go ahead an apply it, and we can all cut Zabaware some slack till they get caught up.

vonsmith

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 02:43:51 am »
KnyteTrypper,
The v1.2 patch after being zipped is about 93KB, which is below Zabaware's limit of 160KB. Robert Medeksza posted a request some time ago to upload completed plug-in's through the plug-in page. Only snippets of code or works-in-progress are supposed to be attachments to posts. Maybe I'm interpreting his request too literally.

Well here it goes...

=vonsmith=

Download Attachment: hal5_XTF_v1.2.uhp PATCH.zip
94.87 KB

Psych

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 06:03:46 am »
Hi Vonsmith,

Thanks for the patch - However, I have spent some time integrating some of my own little programs into your original XTF brain. - I do not really want to have to do all that again. - So would you post the actual changed lines of code (so I can simply slot them in to the original).

Thanks - and keep up the great work.

Psych

ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

vonsmith

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 01:09:21 pm »
Psych,
The changes were numerous, some minor some not. I wish I could keep the changes completely modular in keeping with the spirit of Hal. However some of the enhancements I'm adding leverage the capabilities of the XTF function. Some changes necessarily are system wide. Adding the GetResponsBlock checking for instance is throughout the brain.

The good news, if there is any, is that with each XTF brain update I hope to standardize on the "global" variables like GetResponseBlock, QuestionPending, the debug functions, etc.

The XTF function itself is backward compatible, but it MUST be replaced in its entirety. The GetResponseBlock checking must be added throughout (I marked every line that it was added to. Just look for "'=vonsmith= Added GetResponseBlock" on the line preceding the change). In one case I had to add an "If (something)" statement to add the GetResponseBlock checking. I don't have time right now to look up which one. It was about 2/3 the way down the script. ====UPDATE (03-01-04): The "If GetResponseBlock <> True Then" statement was added to the "RESPOND: USER EXPRESSES LOVE FOR HAL" function.====

In the readme file you can see I renamed Halbeing.brn to XTF_SYS_HalBeing.brn. You can use the search function to find the one line that occurs on. That change is so minor that you can use the old file, just make sure the filename in your brain matches the filename in the DefBrain directory.

From the readme file you can see the IsQuestion() function was updated, it's still backward compatible.

The readme also mentions the "special cases" added to the corrections function towards the bottom of the script. Those are the "do i", etc cases. That function is backward compatible.

I'll try to move towards a more modular approach. When I started this project I had no idea that so many changes needed to be global.

For this patch, as a minimum you need to cut and paste the XTF function in it's entirety over the old one in your code. And the GetResponseBlock checking must be added to all the functions following it that can generate a GetResponse. There are a lot of these. Any functions that you add on your own that can generate a GetResponse must have GetResponseBlock checking or the XTF brain might have a problem. The GetResponseBlock is set "True" by any function that just generated a GetResponse and has a high priority so that following functions should not replace the GetResponse with there own text string.

I hope this helps. In general I don't encourage a lot of cut and pasting in the XTF brain because of the global nature of some new variables. Like I said in time all the global variables I need will be a standard part of the brain just like GetResponse, BlockSave and UserSentence are now. The modularity will improve. I'll try to provide detail change notes to future releases.

If you have questions, please ask. If you want me to check your script or brain you can email it to me with questions about the exact issue. My time is limited, but I'll do the best I can.

=vonsmith=

« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 11:17:22 am by vonsmith »

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 05:21:47 pm »
Thanks, vonsmith, I'm looking forward to seeing how this enhances your already excellent work. Since your own posts are editable in this forum, you can always remove the zip from your post here when Robert has time to post it, if you think that's appropriate. Meanwhile, I'm glad to be able to start using it, as I'm sure many others are, as well. Thanks again.

KnyteTrypper

vonsmith

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 11:20:02 am »
Psych,
See the "UPDATE" in my post above. I identified where that one GetResponseBlock "If" statement was added.

I hope that helps. Your feedback is invaluable. I'll try to make installing the XTF Brain as user friendly as I can.

=vonsmith=

govsta

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 07:05:32 pm »
Maybe, in future versions of the plugin installer, or in some separate package, something like the diff command in linux could be included. This would allow only the changes to be installed if necessary. I'm probably slightly off the mark, but, it's a thought.

vonsmith

• View Profile
XTF Brain Update!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 11:43:35 am »
govsta,
Thanks for the input. Based on Psych's concerns I have already implemented a change tracking method. At the next release I will provide a Word document of the XTF Brain script that shows all deletions as crossed out script and all additions/changes as bolded red script. Changes to or additions of .brn files outside of the XTF Brain script will be listed in a separate document. The revisions should be very clear. Thanks all for making me aware of this issue.

=vonsmith=